Friday, September 14, 2007

You know what the church needs?

Class was great today. Dr. Hasel taught the first section, and to be honest I learned a lot; probably more then I have learned prior to this point here in Portland. Not to discredit what I have learned from others, but nearly everything that I have had in the other lectures, I have already had in greater detail this past summer in my evangelism courses. But class was great! I’m thinking of actually posting my notes online. We’ll see how I feel about that idea later on in the next few months.

For the second section, Dr. Finley was supposed to teach the course, but we had some things to get done before the opening of the Archeology series tonight. It was good though, I got to catch up with Dr. Hasel, and then I got things worked out for my MA courses at Southern. Probably one of the most remarkable things that happened was that I finally figured out the things that I need to do to get my credits for the Southern program. Thank you Dr. Hasel and Dr. Finley.

Independent Study Course Title: Urban Ministry & Evangelism
The content and method of the study undertaken will be: (The following is in the actual handwriting of Dr. Finley) A synopsis of the Church Growth Principles in the Book of Acts in the light of first century culture with application to the Post-modern Mind. Malcolm is immersed in all facets of the Discoveries Series in Portland, Maine – evangelistic outreach.
Instructor: Mark Finley – Adjunct Professor of Evangelism for Graduate Studies.

How exciting does that sound?
Dr. Finley was like, “Malcolm, you know what the church needs? You know what I need? I need someone to figure out how the church in the book of Acts was able to grow; because the first century Christians faced the same things we are facing today. They were post-modern. That’s what the church needs.” So that is going to be my research paper for the time that I am here in Portland. My Bible work will be minimized to 8 hours a week, but I will still be very busy. I think I may use this paper as a pre-work to a Master’s thesis paper.

We had a good prayer session after class, and then we had a good lunch; but I forgot that I was supposed to meet with this Filipino lady. She wanted to take me around Portland for a little bit. It was nice. I had some good Pancit (a Filipino noodle dish). We went to some park, but I don’t remember what it was called, but I got some pictures.



























Afterwards I quickly got dressed for tonight’s Archeology program. The program was great! I think it went very well, and I actually learned quite a bit. I hope that I can podcast it later. We’ll see. I also got some good shots of that took.








































Thank God for the Sabbath! Oh, I’m preaching in the morning, pray for me!

No comments: