Friday, August 24, 2007

Am I going to make it?

Last night I went to a baseball game.










































We kind of celebrated for my birthday. Man, I am getting older. No helping that one. Hopefully I’m getting wiser too. The game went well, the Diamondbacks won 3-2. I think they scored their last run in the bottom of the 7th. That’s when David and I left to eat the Vegetarian House.

Today I came to New York. It was an interesting flight. I woke up late this morning sometime around 6 something to finish packing and etcetera. But I didn’t get out of bed until 6:58, and then took a good long hot shower. I quickly packed the last of my things for the next four months in Portland, Maine; and my quick weekend getaway to New York, and a short detour to Providence, Rhode Island and Massachusetts.

I made a quick stop to Jamba Juice, picked up my Lolo (grandfather in the Tagalog) and was off to the airport. We arrived at 9:30, but took a while to find a parking spot. When we eventually did, I was able to get checked in quickly. But I found out that they bumped up my flight departure time to 10:37, it was originally 11:10. I didn’t even have a warning, what’s up with that? I’m going to have to talk to Delta about this.
I got through security, got there just in time to start boarding, and then they had to change our route twice, so we actually left some time past 11:10. I didn’t mind though, but I felt bad because I wasn’t able to tell the person picking me up that I would be arriving later now.















I arrived at 7:21 PM (New York time), and didn’t get my bags until about 8:00 PM. That took what felt like a near forever. I was tired, and definitely really hungry by now. I hadn’t eaten all day, except the snack from Jamba Juice and the plane.

We took my first taxi in New York to 91st and 2nd in Manhattan somewhere. The fair: $49.00. Thank God I didn’t pay, cause I don’t have that kind of spare change. We got the bags to the fourth story (no elevator, it felt like 4th floor Newton all over again); and then out to eat at La Turk something, it was good Mediterranean food. On the way there I took my first bus, and they would accept dollar bills. So someone else actually paid for me. Kind people. This was after I mustered up the courage to ask for change for $2.00, but someone just gave me their pass thing.

On the way back we stopped somewhere and I got change for $2.00 from a market that was ran by a Korean man. I told him Kam sa ham ni da (thank you in Korean, I think I can actually write this in Korean too 감 자 맘 니 다), but he didn’t really seem like he cared. Its okay, I still really like Koreans.

When we got back it was about 10:00 PM and we began a movie that speaks about a Polish Jew who moved to the East side of New York city. I’ll possibly mention more later, but now its 12:50 AM, and I’m tired.

Tomorrow – Statue of Liberty, attempt #2.

No comments: